Background Image for Header:
What is the SAS?
Science Adventure School is an adventure-based, outdoor science school dedicated to empowering and educating West Virginia’s youth. We integrate adventure sports-driven STEM curriculum with a hands-on, engaging environmental curriculum at the world-class Summit Bechtel Reserve, Jackson's Mill 4-H camp and WVU's Outdoor Education Center. With a distinct focus on student development through experiential education, Science Adventure School offers high quality instruction and meaningful experiences to inspire inquiry, instill confidence, and empower the leaders of tomorrow.
Our Program Design
SAS successfully integrates three innovative programs that actively engage youth by providing opportunities that instill confidence though experience, inspire scientific inquiry, foster new relationships, and reaffirm connections to nature. Our program design features:
- WVU Science Behind the Sport has developed a series of educational programs that
demonstrate the fundamental principles of STEM in the context of adventure activities
like rock climbing, zip lining, cycling, and archery.
- Developed by the West Virginia Water Research Institute, our ecology curriculum focuses on four disciplines of environmental research: phenology, freshwater ecosystems, wetland ecology, and ecohydrology.
- Experiential education curriculum designed to help students as they transition into middle school and emerge from our orientation program as confident, motivated, and united.
Science Adventure School is a 4-day, 3-night educational experience that will take place for six weeks from Tuesday-Friday in Fall 2022.
An example days looks like:
- Wake up and greet the day with a nutritious breakfast together.
- Science Behind the Sport adventure activity, such as zip lining or archery. Participants enjoy the thrill of physical activity while learning engineering and physics concepts, totally hands and feet-on!
- Healthy lunches served in a group setting on-location.
- Environmental Education lesson & activity in an outdoor field setting. Learn about freshwater ecology while searching for wetland insects or go bird-watching while discovering nature's seasonal cues, courtesy of the WV Water Research Institute.
- Enjoy a delicious meal in the Summit Bechtel Reserve's new dining hall.
- Evening group activities that will inspire future explorations & friendships: learn about the stars and constellations, discover how to call an owl, or tell memorable stories around the campfire.