Background Image for Header:
Science Adventure School – STEM Instructor
Location: Summit Bechtel Reserve, Glen Jean, WV
Type: Seasonal (August – October)
The Science Adventure School is a 4-day, 3-night outdoor science program that is serving 6th grade students in West Virginia. Our goal is to integrate high quality, engaging, adventure sports-driven science and environmental curriculum with experiential education and student development. The STEM Instructors will play a crucial role in meeting that goal by delivering “Science Behind the Sport” educational lessons that relate fundamental principles of STEM to adventure sports.
Responsibilities and Duties:
STEM Instructors will be expected to:
- Deliver innovative Science Behind the Sport educational curriculum and hands-on activities placing special emphasis on the practical application of STEM.
- Engage students in a variety of educational and adventure-based experiences including but not limited) to: climbing, zip lining, paddling, cycling, archery, and skateboarding.
- Manage classroom procedures and student behavior to establish an environment of group learning
- Work independently with up to 24, 6th grade students, four field staff, and two teachers.
- Manage time, risk, and travel around the site and perform any other duty or assistance to field staff, students, and teachers to insure success of the program.
- Maintain a positive attitude, professional language, appearance, and behavior, willingness to take initiative.
Minimum Qualifications and Requirements:
The applicant must, at a minimum, have the following experience/qualification:
- Post-Secondary Education or Certifications (i.e., college degree or teaching certification) and/or equivalent contemporary knowledge in STEM
- Ability to pass a federal background check
- Outgoing and friendly personality with the ability to connect and communicate effectively with youth.
- Be comfortable living and working in and outdoor setting that requires moderate physical activity
- Excellent organizational skills and effective problem-solving skills
- Passion for science, education, and creative thinking
The following qualifications are preferred, but are not mandatory:
- Prior experience working with youth (ages 10-14)
- Experience/familiarity with rock climbing, archery, cycling, zip lining, paddling, and other outdoor activities
- Knowledge of pedagogy and modern teaching strategies
The Science Adventure School will begin STEM staff training on Monday, August 19th. We expect that you will be available to work with us through October 5th with minimal time off throughout those seven weeks. Staff will be expected to be on campus Monday-Friday with weekends off. This means seven consecutive weeks of work (with weekends off). Although sufficient breaks will be scheduled throughout the week, expect to be working with students for the majority of the day Tuesday morning through Friday afternoon.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Competitive per diem starting at $105/day and up to $160/day
- Additional pay will be allotted as per SAS pay matrix with increases for education, experience, and/or relevant certifications.
- Lodging in the form of platform/canvas tents will be provided for the duration of contract (including weekends and off-days).
- Staff will have access to the dining hall for all meals (including weekends and off-days).
- All professional training will be paid and provided for free.
- Laundry, showers, and internet will be available on site.
Follow the link below to fill out the application and upload your resume and cover letter. Well qualified applicants can expect to hear back from our team within seven days of application submission. We're excited to receive your application!